Applications Now Open to Join the Board of Ruby Central!
Ruby Central is a non-profit organization dedicated to support and advocacy of the worldwide Ruby community.
We produce the annual RubyConf and RailsConf conferences, support community growth, and provide vital infrastructure for the Ruby programming language by maintaining the bundler and rubygems packaging services in addition to other open source projects.
The board of directors for Ruby Central act as representatives to the community and work to ensure smooth operations today and smart strategy for tomorrow. We meet once a month and all take turns working as co-chairs of the conferences.
To support our conferences and programs, we're looking to fill multiple board seats! We'd love to have you come join our small but dedicated team of volunteers.
We think about big questions like:
- Where do we want to see the Ruby community go?
- What do we want our events to look like?
- Who do we want to see represented on the stage and in the audience?
- How do we grow and connect our community?
As a board member you will play a pivotal role in helping build the future of Rubyists everywhere. You’ll have the chance to help shape the experience at the world’s largest Ruby conference, introduce us to the next generation of Ruby/RailsConf speakers, guide our open source infrastructure work, and work on exciting new projects which support the community year-round.
- Ensuring the financial health and stability of Ruby Central, including:
- Reviewing regular reports and financials
- Working with our staff on projects
- Supporting event production
- Guiding our Open Source strategy
- Exploring new revenue streams and engagement opportunities
- Help make ongoing staffing and hiring decisions as needed
- Supporting Ruby programming language and ecosystem, including:
- Serving as a reference/resource
- Helping assess and implement new ideas related to Ruby language support
- Managing finances for a nonprofit
- Open source maintenance and governance
- Corporate or individual fundraising for nonprofits
- B2B or B2C Sales
Meetings and time commitment
- One 1.5 hour long board meeting per month
- Board committee meetings and off-site retreats a few times a year
- Attending both conferences
- 2-10 hours weekly depending on tasks at hand
Q: How long will applications remain open?
- A: Applications will be open for two weeks.
Q: What happens if my application is selected?
- A: We appreciate your patience as we sort through applications – we're a small (but mighty) group of volunteers! We will reach out to any candidates that are selected for an interview. Then we’ll follow up with next steps.
Q: Can I nominate someone for a board position?
- A: Yes, you can nominate a candidate here.
Q: When is the start date for this position?
- A: We’d love to fill our board seats by the end of the year. But we’re also looking for someone who is a great fit for this role and our team. We may reopen applications after this round if we need to keep looking.
Q: What if I have other questions?
- A: You can email firstname.lastname@example.org
September 18, 2023