Supporting the Ruby Community Since 2001
August 2020 Monthly Update
Hello! Welcome to the monthly update. During August, our work was supported by Zendesk, Bleacher Report, Stitch Fix, and many others.
ruby together news
In August, Ruby Together was supported by 43 different companies, including Sapphire member Stripe and Ruby member Zendesk. 2 companies joined for the first time this month.
In addition to those companies, 2 new developers signed up as members, including Efstathios Stivaros. In total, we were supported by 101 developer members. Thanks to all of our members for making everything that we do possible. <3
This month we made improvements to our man page generation process to ease contribution to the Bundler documentation, and reviewed and merged some PRs from various contributors. We’re thankful for our supportive community. <3
We coordinated with the Ruby core team about versioning default gems in #3937 and #3938, as well as fixing an issue with configuration priority.
We also deprecated
bundle cache --all in favor of explicitly configuring
bundle config set --local cache_all true.
As always, we continue to fix bugs, review and merge PRs, and follow up with issue triaging.
In total, RubyGems gained 71 new commits, contributed by 15 authors. There were 639 additions and 262 deletions across 173 files.
In August, we added a webhook configuration to Slack, set up Terraform modules sending Slack notifications from AWS Lambda, and completed the following tests, improvements and fixes:
- tested and deployed a PR for blocking -/_ variations of the gem names (which are most commonly abused by malicious actors) and fixed a missing index in the SQL query.
- debugged failing rspec failing builds and updated the backfill required_rubygems_version task to also backfill required_ruby_version.
- added basic auth to staging.rubygems.org, loaded a production dump, and did a test run of the backfill task.
- ran the backfill task in production, regenerated the
info_checksummismatches, and purged info keys on memcached and Fastly. This will ensure
bundle installis able to run quickly when resolving more than 30k gem versions that previously caused
- added Terraform modules for CloudWatch alerts on
sqs, and created alert thresholds.
- reduced docker image size of RubyGems.org by 100 MB by removing sass-rails from the production image.
- resolved tickets on help.rubygems.org.
This month, RubyGems.org gained 74 new commits, contributed by 6 authors. There were 225 additions and 118 deletions across 23 files.
budget & expenses
In August, we saw $16,316.33 in total income, and spent a total of $15,661.84
- Stripe Payment Processing Fees $303.74
- Employee Related $237.31
- General & Administrative $217.18
- IT & Software $1,154.51
- Professional Fees $319.00
- 91.6 Hours of development work $13,733.84
Until next time,
Irene, André and the Ruby Together team
September 21, 2020