Supporting the Ruby Community Since 2001
August 2021 Monthly Update
Hello! Welcome to the monthly update. During August, our work was supported by Zendesk, DigitalOcean, Stitch Fix, and many others.
ruby together news
In August, Ruby Together was supported by 38 different companies, including Ruby member Zendesk. 2 companies joined as new members.
On top of those companies, 2 new developers signed up as members, including Jay Ang. In total, we were supported by 108 developer members. Thanks to all of our members for making everything that we do possible. <3
rubygems & bundler news
This month in RubyGems, we released a new version of RubyGems: 3.2.26. This release features experimental support for the
RUBYGEMS_GEMDEPS environment variable, which allows using locked versions of executables without prepending them with
bundle exec. It also fixes an issue with loading the RubyGems plugin, and improves error reporting inside operating system customizations of RubyGems.
On Bundler, we released Bundler 2.2.26, which includes several small fixes and improvements. Further details can be found in the changelog.
In August, Rubygems gained 133 new commits, contributed by 11 authors. There were 1,299 additions and 896 deletions across 192 files.
In August, RubyGems.org saw several bug fixes and updates, some of which include the following:
- drafted a PR for the Ruby 3 update to evaluate changes required - #2760.
- reduced Docker build time up to 5 minutes by caching the
bundle installcommand -#2761.
- updated Rubocop as part of the updates for Ruby 3 - #2768.
- debugged the increased CPU usage on Postgres and added a rate limit on the
reverse_dependenciespage - #2754.
- contacted Zendesk support about spam mails and enabled a beta version of
Rspamdspam filter system.
- evaluated performance impact on our database in
Gem Signature VerificationPR - #2444.
This month, Rubygems.org gained 34 new commits, contributed by 3 authors. There were 135 additions and 129 deletions across 14 files.
As always, we continue to fix bugs, review and merge PR’s and reply to support tickets.
budget & expenses
In August, we saw $57,698.27 in total income, and spent a total of $44,248.80.
- Stripe Payment Processing Fees $289.38
- Employee Related $718.66
- General & Administrative $460.93
- IT & Software $629.83
- 281 Hours of development work at $150/hr $42,150
Until next time,
Irene, André and the Ruby Together team
September 16, 2021