Hello! Welcome to the monthly update. During July, our work was supported by Zendesk, Stripe, DigitalOcean, Bleacher Report, and many others.

ruby together news

In July, Ruby Together was supported by 44 different companies, including Sapphire member Stripe, and 102 developer members. Thanks to all of our members for making everything that we do possible. <3

rubygems news

In July, we improved Bundler’s Issue Template for our maintainers and contributors. We also worked on improving performance optimizations, and simplified our CI Workflow to make all Bundler testing combinations easier to maintain.

We made improvements and cleaned up PRs related to JRuby (#3770, #3771, #3774) and merged a follow up PR to have a clean rubocop on new gems.

We implemented gem update --system --silent and configured RubyGems branch protection. We’ve also fixed rake release failing in the following instances:

Finally, we proposed a new workflow for managing our changelog and merged more PRs integrating this workflow. #3808, #3798, #3807.

As always, we continue to fix bugs, review PRs, follow up with issues and perform ongoing maintenance.

This month, RubyGems and Bundler gained 227 new commits, contributed by 15 authors. There were 146 additions and 170 deletions across 1,070 files.

rubygems.org news

RubyGems.org saw a lot of activity this month with 30 merged pull requests.

We updated our sendgrid account subscription to allocate dedicated IP, and setup rDNS and gmail postmaster. We also filed a support ticket with Fastly for an IPv6 connection issue, searched honeycomb’s RubyGems.org dataset for API keys and disabled their Fastly integration, and sent an email notification about it to our users.

We’ve migrated to sidecar nginx proxy running on EKS cluster from legacy SPOF nginx running on a dedicated host. We also updated our EKS cluster to v1.16.

Over on help.rubygems.org we resolved tickets, fixed a TypeError on the signup page, and removed unused daemons gems from the Gemfile.

In addition to those improvements, we completed the following:

a fix for rack_attack test failing on Travis with 429

searched 22 months of logs from s3 and created a new email to remediate a possible API key leak.

debugged Outlook marking RubyGems.org mails as spam and filed a support ticket for shared IP update

worked on a PR for client side support of API key scopes and updated the server-side PR

cleaned up failed jobs with retry/delete.

ran rake task to delete dangling dependency reports and set unresolved_name manually.

fixed NoMethodError on transitive dependency page

removed unused dependencies from dockerfile (#2449)

In total, RubyGems.org gained 72 new commits, contributed by 8 authors. There were 335 additions and 111 deletions across 53 files.

gemstash news

We worked on the S3 backend for Gemstash.

budget & expenses

In June, we saw $14,718.48 in total income, and spent a total of $23,091.84.

  • Stripe Payment Processing Fees $386.99
  • Employee Related $301.99
  • General & Administrative $225.22
  • IT & Software $707.86
  • Professional Fees $319.00
  • 143.6 Hours of development work $21,537.77

Until next time,
Irene, André and the Ruby Together team